Should I give my Pet CDB?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp plants. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD does not produce a "high" effect, as it is non-psychoactive. Over the past few years, CBD has gained popularity for its potential health benefits not just in humans, but also in pets such as dogs and cats. Like all mammals, dogs and cats have an endocannabinoid system, also known as the ECS. The ECS is activated when CBD is consumed and creates a two-way communication system between the brain and various systems of the body.
This is why you may hear about CBD helping out in so many areas of pet health. Not only may it help common issues like digestive health, hip and joint health, and situational stress, but it may help support a healthy immune system response as well. So even if your pet isn’t experiencing any issues concerning their health status, promoting a healthy immune system is key to keeping your healthy pet healthy.
Here are some potential benefits of CBD for dogs and cats:
1. Pain relief: CBD is known for its analgesic properties. It may help manage chronic pain by impacting endocannabinoid receptor activity and interacting with neurotransmitters.
2. Anti-inflammatory: CBD has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce swelling and pain associated with conditions such as arthritis, which is common in older pets.
3. Reduce anxiety and stress: Pets can also suffer from anxiety, stress, and phobias. CBD can produce a calming effect without the potential side effects of certain pharmaceutical drugs.
4. Anticonvulsant: CBD has been shown to help manage seizures, tremors, tics, and spasms. It's known to have anticonvulsant properties.
5. Appetite stimulation: If your pet is experiencing a loss of appetite, CBD may help stimulate their desire to eat.
6. Antiemetic: CBD can help control nausea and vomiting, while also stimulating appetite.
7. Promote Homeostasis: Many pet owners use CBD not only to treat a particular illness but also as a regular supplement to promote the overall health and wellbeing of their pets.
While CBD is generally considered safe, it's important to note that not all CBD oils are the same; some may contain traces of THC, which can be harmful to pets. Always buy CBD products specifically designed for pets and follow the dosages recommended by the manufacturer.
If you’re still unsure of what CBD product is best for your pet, feel free to contact us for additional help. We are happy to help you decide on the perfect CBD product based on all of your pet’s preferences and provide a custom product recommendation based on your pet’s age, weight, and health status.